Don’t Let Termites Ruin Your HomeThe arrival of Spring is usually welcomed with open arms, but warmer temperatures also stir unwanted pests, and termites, into activity. It’s not uncommon for a termite infestation to show up in the weeks following cold winter temperatures. And preventing termites from invading your home is what SWAT Services is all about. SWAT wants you and your family to be well informed about these destructive pests so they don’t start forming colonies in or around your home and end up costing you money.
Termites Are a Costly ProblemEvery year termites combine to cause over 5 billion dollars of damage. Unfortunately, termite damage is not a claim that is typically covered by your homeowners insurance policy. Yet, damage from termites is five times more likely to occur to your home than damage from fire!
The first step in preventing termite infestation is recognizing the problem. Because termites work from the inside out, you may not always see a sign of infestation until the damage has been done.
But You Can HelpYou can prevent serious termite damage to your home just by spending a few minutes inspecting your home. You’ll be looking for clues that suggest termites are present, and/or looking for conditions that may actually promote termite activities. Review these items and schedule some time to walk around your house:
- Carefully inspect the perimeter of the home for mud tubes and rotting wood.
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are unclogged and actively divert water away from your home’s foundation.
- Repair fascia, soffits, and rotted roof shingles.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Maintain a one-inch gap between soil and wood portions of the home.
- Any wood in direct contact with the soil and your structure is vulnerable to termites. Store all firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and before bringing it indoors, and check the wood for pests.