It is safe to say that one of the greatest threats to most backyard activities here in Marietta is the pesky mosquito. Many of our family barbecues, campfires, or yard games have been much less enjoyable due to these annoying little bugs that seem to show up just as things are getting good. No one wants to be outside slapping your legs and arms the whole time. That’s why SWAT Services wants to share a few ideas to prevent mosquitoes, so that you and your family can enjoy the backyard with out the headache.
Don’t Let Termites Ruin Your HomeThe arrival of Spring is usually welcomed with open arms, but warmer temperatures also stir unwanted pests, and termites, into activity. It’s not uncommon for a termite infestation to show up in the weeks following cold winter temperatures. And preventing termites from invading your home is what SWAT Services is all about. SWAT wants you and your family to be well informed about these destructive pests so they don’t start forming colonies in or around your home and end up costing you money.
Termites Are a Costly ProblemEvery year termites combine to cause over 5 billion dollars of damage. Unfortunately, termite damage is not a claim that is typically covered by your homeowners insurance policy. Yet, damage from termites is five times more likely to occur to your home than damage from fire!
Spring is Almost Here . . .
Spring? Yes, it’s been bitterly cold, but Spring is not that far away? So here’s a Spring home maintenance checklist to get your home in order for the next season. From cleaning out your gutters to inspecting your smoke detectors, use this checklist to help prepare your home for spring.
Start with a Look Inside Your Home . . .
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Spend a couple of hours looking at these items for preventive maintenance inside your home.
- Inspect electrical outlets for frayed or loose wires. Do you hear any crackling sounds when you plug-in an appliance?
- Check your fire extinguisher for expiration dates and replace/recharge as needed.
- Inspect ceilings for “brown spots” – an indication of leaks in the home.
- Schedule an inspection of your air-conditioning system.
- Check your water heater for leaks and corrosion.
- Clean your clothes dryer exhaust duct and surrounding space. Remove lint, dust, and “lost socks.”
Clogged dryer vents can lead to fires!
- Test and inspect all smoke detectors. If you can’t remember when you last replaced the batteries, replace them now.
Take a Look Outside, Too
Don’t overlook inspecting the outside of your home, too.
- Check for damage to your roof from fallen branches and twigs. Roof damage results in leaks, which can cause even more damage to your home.
- While you’re on the roof, inspect your chimney for any damage or cracking. Make sure all flashing is secured and sealed.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating. Be sure downspouts send water away from the house.
- Look for any holes where rodents or animals might be able to gain access to your home. Take advantage of our Wildlife Special if necessary!
- Inspect decks for loose boards, nails and rotting.
- Check patios and sidewalks for loose or cracked concrete and mortar.
Can You Do All That?
There is certainly a lot to do on this Spring home maintenance checklist. If you don’t have the time, or aren’t able to tackle all of these items, give us a call at SWAT, today. We have qualified technicians able to inspect and recommend home repairs as needed.